Saturday, September 19, 2009

I'm here to watch a movie...

...if you want to talk and/or text your friends.  Get the heck out.

There I am sitting comfortably in my chosen seat, talking quietly to Sanjay as we wait for the lights to go down and the movie to start.  I admit it, I am a people watcher, and while conversing with Sanjay I am looking around observing the crowd.  Once upon a time it used to be a fun past time.  There would be older couples out on dates casually holding hands and talking.  New couples completely oblivious to those around them.  Groups of boys in one section being loud and boisterous trying to get the attention of the groups of girls in other sections.  Those girls trying very hard to not appear as though they are paying attention to the boisterous boys.  Fun was had by all. 

Now do you know what I see?

Cell phones.  Cell phones of all shapes and sizes, with bright screens that dot the theatre like annoying little fireflies.  Nobody is talking, nobody is laughing.  All they are doing is texting.  Texting the friends who are coming to find out their ETA.   Texting the friends who aren't coming to find out where to meet after the show and texting the friends who are sitting with them.  Doesn't anyone talk and joke and laugh anymore?

We are a society full of immediate gratification; there is nothing to look forward to, no surprise by waiting.  Whatever happened to making plans in advance and then anticipating those plans right up until the moment?  The sheer joy of having those plans come to fruition, or the utter disappointment of them falling through.  Now if things aren't going according to plan all you have to do is phone someone (oh wait no...we are such a lazy society that nobody even wants to talk anymore) text someone because they are so incredibly important that they have a cell phone on them at all times.  Plans are easily revamped, and nobody misses out on anything.

I see this as a major flaw in society.  Missing out, having plans fall through, not being reachable 24/7 helps you appreciate and love the experiences that do work out just a little bit more.  There is also something to be said for talking to strangers in the same setting as yourself.  It makes you aware of people outside your immediate circle of friends.  It helps you develop empathy for others. 

Several years ago we were driving home from a New Years Eve party at a friends house.  We had all 3 kids in the back of the van, it was 1:30 am, and we were exhausted.  As we were coming off an exit we saw a group of teenagers standing around a car that was up a snowbank and facing the wrong direction.  They all looked a little rattled.  Sanjay looked at me and I at him and we both nodded, he then put our hazards on and pulled in behind the sideways car.  When we got out to see what happened and ask if they needed anything they said they had called a tow truck and were just waiting. Sanjay looked at the car, and then at the 2 guys and said between the three of them they could push it off the bank.  And they did.  I spoke with the girls for a few minutes as they stood around shivering waiting for the car to be moved and discovered that they had been at a party, and were just heading home to what they figured would be a second party.  They thanked us profusely for stopping and helping get their car out; it would have likely been a long wait otherwise.  As they struggled to get back into their car a thought struck me and I asked who their DD was?   All 4 of them started shuffling back and forth and no one would look me in the eyes.
"We're okay, we aren't far from home."  Came the meek answer of the driver.
"No, I'm serious you guys.  Which of you is sober enough to drive?"  Was my reply.
"Well...uh..I've only had a few...uh...."  and still none of them would look at me.
"Sanjay, take his keys.  I'll follow you."

And that's what we did.  Not one of them complained or said anything as the keys were handed over to Sanjay and 3 of them clamored into the back seat.  When we got to their destination, the 2 girls jumped out and came around to my door.  I got out and they both hugged me and kept thanking me for all our help.  Even the two guys came over and thanked us again.

As we got into our van the party-ers came out from inside with handfuls of eggs.  I saw one come sailing at my back window, amongst cheers from all the other party-ers.  The kids we had just dropped off started to yell at them, to tell them to stop.  The driver went running at the egg thrower and tackled him to the ground, and as we drove away I heard him say.  "Not them, they're a nice family.  They have kids in the back.  Stop it, you dumb drunk and go back in the house."  Then he stood up and waved at us!  And as another car drove by, a second egg was launched, but this time the target was missed, the throw being interrupted by a boy who maybe realized that that car might contain a "nice family" too.

This relates to my cell phone issues, and here's how.  If we had just stopped, lent them a cell phone and moved on, then we would never have had a chance to talk with them; to learn about them, and them about us.  And driving down that street, there would have been no empathy for us, and my van would have been riddled with eggs, because nobody cared.
     

1 comment:

  1. I loved every word I read. I feel the same way. You said it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete