Monday, September 21, 2009

Public School Sucks

When I was younger I watched my Mom struggle with the public school system and my older brother.  She was constantly in contact with the teachers and the Principal.  Meetings and notes galore.  He wasn't a bad kid; so you can rule out disciplinary counsels.  He also wasn't mentally handicapped  or physically handicapped (which were the politically correct terms to use back then); so you can rule that out too.

My brother was advanced.  I wouldn't go so far as to say he was a "genius" or even "gifted".  (Sorry Bro.)  He was just advanced.  He was smart; very smart.  He picked the concepts up quickly, and finished his work even quicker.  He worked hard and scored high.  But he was bored, and what happens to kids who are bored?  They amuse themselves.  My mom was constantly at odds with the teachers, fighting to get "something" to keep her son from getting bored in class.  But unless you were a bad kid, or a kid with a special need, you were just lumped in with everyone else.

So here we are, nearly 25 years later and the same fight is being fought.

Every Adam Autism or Anna ADHD has an IEP (individualized Education Plan) which helps lay out their learning goals, challenges, strengths and encourages a learning pace appropriate to their learning capabilities.  Now don't get me wrong.  I am really glad these programs are in place.  Once upon a time these kids would have been labeled as "too far gone" and would get little more attention then a pet turtle.  It's great that they are being integrated into the school system, and consequently into society.

But what about the other side of that spectrum?  What about kids who come into the system advanced?  What is in place for them?  Are kids with delays or medical needs the only kids who have "Special Needs"?  I say no.  My daughter went into kindergarten already reading and writing (quite legibly I might add) and already capable of doing math facts to 10.  So what happens to her?  Does she too not have "special needs" that need to be met.  Should she not also have an IEP to help continue where she is at and continue on at her pace?

After a brief discussion with the teacher I was led to understand that she is working on getting everyone to the same level.  (Except for those with IEP's).  Essentially she is telling me that my child isn't going to learn anything this year because the other kids need to catch up to her.  Well I am sorry that just DOES NOT work for me.   

Why are classes being taught to the lowest common denominator?  Why should my daughter suffer because I took time out to work with her?  I'm sorry that you didn't take time to teach your child the alphabet before kindergarten, but that is not my problem.

Kids are way smarter then we give them credit for...classes should be taught with a higher standard in mind.  It has been my experience that expecting more of kids often leads to bigger and better results.  Why not teach to a higher level and expect those bottom dwellers to reach up...instead of those on top always being pulled down?

The kindergarten teacher has already expressed a non-interest in working with me.  And so now my choices are
A) let it go and sadly watch my child get lost in the system
B) enroll her in a Private School, where I know the education is second to none
OR C)push to have her sent to grade 1, where she will get the challenge I feel she is capable of handling.  
   

Well, I am not a "let it go" kind of person; so A is out.  Quite honestly if I could afford the 20K tuition for both girls I would send them to Balmoral Hall in a heartbeat.  But sadly my backyard money tree is a little short on funds, so B is out too.  Which leaves us with option C...pushing to have her sent to grade 1.  This doesn't seem like a great option either, I don't want to "advance" my child.  I just want her current love for learning to be harnessed and fostered.  I know that right now is a crucial time in a child's development; right now is make or break regarding learning. 

I hope the Principal has an option D I don't know about.  In I go on Wednesday to start seemingly where my Mom left off.  To advocate for my child, and to maybe make a change for all other "advanced" kids out there.
Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope all goes well, it is sad that the children who are advanced are the ones left to fend for themselves. There should be a system in place to deal with the advanced kids as well. Why should they have to suffer for being "smart". Keep us posted, I'm anxiously awaiting the out come of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask to have the student services person (there should be a student services person designated to each grade) in on your meeting. This is the person who develops IEP's and hopefully they will be a resource you can use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill. I'll keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Candice. Welcome to the worst 20 so years of your life...public school. My son has an IEP because he is ADHD however my daughter who has no label is totally getting lost in the whirlwind of this crazy system.
    I have decided this year to join the PAC I am tired of sitting back and just complaining about it so I have to step and join.
    I hope you get some resolution and I agree their should be WAY higher standards.

    ReplyDelete