Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Maybe there is hope for the public school system

Or maybe not.
  I met with the Principal today.  I thanked him for meeting with me and said "I know I have already been labeled "one of those parents", and I am okay with that.  Because if I don't advocate for my child no one is going to do it for me."
 He smiled and then reassured me that he was glad that I was one of those parents, and that not enough parents take as much of an interest in their kids educations as I seem to.  I won't go into "I said, he said"...the bottom line is me made the teacher aware of my concerns.   She had also already noted Cyndel's strengths and has been using them and encouraging/challenging Cyndel.  She will continue to do so and I will continue to monitor what Cyndel is learning, if I don't feel there is enough of a challenge I will go back and we will discuss further steps. 

*okay one "I said".
   "I don't want to have to go that route [advancing Cyndel to grade 1], but that doesn't mean I won't if the need arises." 

We have agreed to reconnect at another time to discuss how I feel things are going.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it's going in the right direction. I found that if you are "one of those parents" you have a lot more power within the school.

    ReplyDelete