Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It's called a turn signal. Learn to use it.

I'm driving home from swimming lessons with Bash yesterday.  We have exactly half an hour after he is done to get changed and home and to the school to pick up the girls for lunch; it is about a 12 minute drive home and then a 3 or 4 minute walk to the school.  So there I am cruising along just about to cross the railroad tracks, when some knucklehead in a big white truck out of the blue stops directly on the other side of said tracks.  No warning, no slowdown, he just stops.  Well this leaves me in quite a lurch, because now I have to slam on the brakes in order to stop before the tracks, or I'll end up indefinitely on the tracks.  *Please note that this is a WELL used railroad crossing*

So I slam on the brakes and I can see the knucklehead shaking his head at my squealing tires.  Turns out he is going to turn..but I only know that as he starts making his left turn.  Now I ask you honestly, how hard is it to turn your "blinker" on as you approach your turn spot to indicate to those behind you (and possibly those coming at you) that you intend to turn?  It would have prevented me from slamming my breaks that's for sure..If I had known he was turning I would have swerved a little and driven around him on the right...but as it was, any fool who can stop without warning near railroad tracks is not to be trusted.  Fortunately I made it home with enough time to drop Constantine into the stroller and jog off to the school with Bash huffing and puffing behind me!

While I am on the subject of turn signals, let's look at the other half of the population; those who use their turn signal for absolutely everything.  When you're on a clover leaf, or in a "left turn only" lane, I pretty much know which direction you are going.  There is no need to have your right turn signal on for the whole drive off Pembina hwy on to Bishop Grandin...honest...I got it!

Just so we're clear, your turn signal is used to indicate a lane change or if you have a choice in direction and you are changing your current direction.  So, once you have changed lanes and are in the correct "left lane MUST exit"ramp..there is NO need to keep your turn signal on.  It is redundant.

1 comment:

  1. My friend was once driving with his grandfather, and the grandfather turned without signaling, causing chaos behind him. My friend said "grandpa, you really have to signal, it is important." The grandfather said "why should I signal? I go to the same place by the same route every day." AND HE WAS NOT JOKING!

    ReplyDelete